Katarina T. Smiljaniĉ, Ph.D.
senior scientific associate
Faculty of Chemistry, Studentski trg 12-16, Beograd
Department of Biochemistry
E-mail: katarinas AT chem · bg · ac · rs
Mother of three children, Zaharije, Anastasija and Ilija, who are her joy and pride. Changed more working places, industries and jobs on different continents in the fields of Biochemistry/Molecular Biology and Medicine. Beside Serbian as mother tongue, she uses English language frequently with moderate French and Arabic language proficiency.
Education and qualifications
1994: Undergraduate studies - Chemistry / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
1999: Master of science studies - Chemistry / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
2012: Doctoral academic (PhD) studies - Biology / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Biology (Belgrade, Serbia)
History of employment
1995-1996: Associate researcher / Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences (Belgrade, Serbia)
1996-1998: Associate researcher / Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University (Kuwait, Kuwait)
2000-2002: Assistant professor / American University in Dubai (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
2003-2010: GlaxoSmithCline Export Ltd. (Belgrade, Serbia)
2009-2012: Associate researcher / Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences (Belgrade, Serbia)
2010-2011: Assistant professor / American School of Medicine (Belgrade, Serbia)
2013-2013: Scientific associate / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
2013: Scientific associate / Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences (Belgrade, Serbia)
2013-2017: Scientific associate / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
2017-2017: Scientific councilor / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
2018-2019: Scientific associate / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
2019: Senior scientific associate / University of Belgrade - Faculty of Chemistry (Belgrade, Serbia)
- Immunoproteomic characterization of allergens and intracellular pathogens
- Natural products and drug development
- Signal pathways in diabetes and cardioascular diseases
- Neurochemistry of pain pathways in diabetes
Awards and merits
1995: "Djordje Stefanovic" Diploma for the best student of the generation 1990.
October 2002: FEBS Young Research Scientist
September 9, 2015: The best oral presentation on 4th International Congress of Analytical Chemistry
Member of Serbian Biochemical Society from October 1, 2002.
Member of Serbian Chemical Society from April 2013.
Member of Serbian Proteomics Association from December 28, 2015.
Member of European Academy of Allergy and Clinical Immunology from December 1, 2017.
- FCUB-ERA 256716 (Reinforcement of the Faculty of Chemistry, Uvinersity of Belgrade, towards becoming a centre of excellence in the region of West Balkans for molecular biotechnology and food research)
international project - European Union (Brusseles, Belgium)
- 172024 (Molecular properties and modifications of some respiratory and nutritive allergens)
project - Ministry of Science and Technological Development (Belgrade, Serbia)
- COST Action FA1402 (5) Improving Allergy Risk Assessment Strategy for New Food Proteins (ImpARAS))
international project - European Union (Brusseles, Belgium)
- No. 810752 (Twinning of research activities for the frontier research in the fields of food, nutrition and environmental ‘omics)
international project - Research Executive Agency (Brisel, Belgium)
Author identification numbers
- Prodic, I., Stanic‐Vucinic D., Apostolovic D., Mihailovic J., Radibratovic M., Radosavljevic J., Burazer L., Milcic, M., Smiljanic, K., van Hage M., Cirkovic Velickovic T. Influence of peanut matrix on stability of allergens in gastric‐simulated digesta: 2S albumins are main contributors to the IgE reactivity of short digestion‐resistant peptides, Clin Exp Allergy, (2018) 48 (6): 731-740; DOI: 10.1111/cea.13113; ISSN: 0954-7894; IF2016 = 5,264; Allergy (4/26).
- Prodić I., Smiljanić K., Simović A., Radosavljević J., Ćirković Veličković T. Thermal Processing of Peanut Grains Impairs Their Mimicked Gastrointestinal Digestion While Downstream Defatting Treatments Affect Digestomic Profiles, Foods, (2019), 8 (10), 463; DOI:10.3390/foods8100463; ISSN: 2304-8158; IF2018 = 3,011; Food Science & Technology (36/135).
- Smiljanic K., Prodic I., Apostolovic D., Cvetkovic A., Veljovic Dj., Mutic J., van Hage M., Burazer L., Cirkovic Velickovic T. In-depth quantitative profiling of post-translational modifications of Timothy grass pollen allergome in relation to environmental oxidative stress, Environment International, (2019) 126: 644-658. DOI:10.1016/j.envint.2019.03.001;
ISSN: 0160-4120; IF2018 = 7,943; Environmental Sciences (9/250).
- Smiljanic K, Apostolovic D, Trifunovic S, Ognjenovic J, Perusko M, Mihajlovic L, Burazer L, van Hage M & Cirkovic Velickovic T (2017) Sub-pollen particles are rich carriers of major short ragweed allergens and NADH dehydrogenases: quantitative proteomic and allergomic study. Clin Exp Allergy 47(6), 815-828.
- Zivanovic M, Atanasković-Marković M, Medjo B, Gavrović-Jankulović M, Smiljanić K, Tmušić V, Djurić V. (2017) Evaluation of Food Allergy in Children by Skin Prick Tests with Commercial Extracts and Fresh Foods, Specific IgE and, Open Oral Food Challenge-Our Five Years Experience in Food Allergy Work-up. Iranian Journal of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 16(2): 127-132.
- Mihailovic J, Inic-Kanada A, Smiljanic K, Stein E, Barisani-Asenbauer T & Velickovic TC (2016) Lysine acetylation of major Chlamydia trachomatis antigens. EuPA Open Proteomics 10, 63-69.
- Mihajlovic L, Radosavljevic J, Burazer L, Smiljanic K & Cirkovic Velickovic T (2015) Composition of polyphenol and polyamide compounds in common ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia L.) pollen and sub-pollen particles. Phytochemistry 109, 125-32.
- Krstic M SM, Smiljanic K, Stanic Vucinic D, Cirkovic Velickovic T (2015) The anti-cancer activity of green tea, coffee and cocoa extracts in human cervical adenocarcinoma HeLa cells depends on both pro-oxidant and anti-proliferative activities of polyphenols. RSC Advances 5, 3260-3268.
- Smiljanic K, Obradovic M, Jovanovic A, Djordjevic J, Dobutovic B, Jevremovic D, Marche P & Isenovic ER (2014) Thrombin stimulates VSMC proliferation through an EGFR-dependent pathway: involvement of MMP-2. Mol Cell Biochem 396, 147-60.
- Aleksic I, Smiljanic K, Gavrovic-Jankulovic M, Krsmanovic V, Burazer L (2014) The importance of cross-reactivity in grass pollen allergy. Arch Biol Sci 66, 1149-1154.
- Ognjenovic J, Milcic-Matic N, Smiljanic K, Vuckovic O, Burazer L, Popovic N, Stanic-Vucinic D & Velickovic TC (2013) Immunoproteomic characterization of Ambrosia artemisiifolia pollen allergens in canine atopic dermatitis. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 155, 38-47.
- Sudar E, Soskc S, Zaric BL, Rasić-Milutinović Z, Smiljanic K, Radak D, Mikhailidis DP, Rizzo M & Isenovic ER (2012) Ghrelin, obesity and atherosclerosis in GHRELIN, Production, Action Mechanisms and Physiological Effects (Hiromasa Yamada, K. T., ed) pp. 111-126, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York.
- Popovic M, Smiljanic K, Dobutovic B, Syrovets T, Simmet T & Isenovic ER (2012) Human cytomegalovirus infection and atherothrombosis. J Thromb Thrombolysis 33, 160-72.
- Popovic M, Smiljanic K, Dobutovic B, Syrovets T, Simmet T & Isenovic ER (2012) Thrombin and vascular inflammation. Mol Cell Biochem 359, 301-13.
- Smiljanic K, Dobutovic B, Obradovic M, Nikolic D, Marche P & Isenovic ER (2011) Involvement of the ADAM 12 in thrombin-induced rat's VSMCs proliferation. Curr Med Chem 18, 3382-6.
- Haidara M, Mikhailidis DP, Yassin HZ, Dobutovic B, Smiljanic KT, Soskic S, Mousa SA, Rizzo M & Isenovic ER (2011) Evaluation of the possible contribution of antioxidants administration in metabolic syndrome. Curr Pharm Des 17, 3699-712.
- Dobutovic B, Smiljanic K, Soskic S, Düngen H-D & Isenovic ER (2011) Nitric oxide and its role in cardiovascular diseases. The open nitric oxide journal 3, 65-71.
- Isenovic ER, Fretaud M, Dobutovic B, Sudar E, Smiljanic K, Zaric B, Trpkovic A & Marche P (2009) A novel hypothesis regarding the possible involvement of cytosolic phospholipase 2 in insulin-stimulated proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells. Cell Biol Int 33, 386-92.
- Bitar MS, Bajic KT, Farook T, Thomas MI & Pilcher CW (1999) Spinal cord noradrenergic dynamics in diabetic and hypercortisolaemic states. Brain Res 830, 1-9.
Thu Nov 28 12:05:08 2019